Monday, March 11, 2013

Long Time Gone

I just noticed that it has been almost two years since I wrote in my blog and the last blog I posted said I was going to start writing more often...ha! That did not happen, now did it?
I am trying to figure out how I can incorporate my new found healthy eating habits into a blog that might interest some folks to read. I have been doing well in controlling my diabetes the last six months or so and I have always balked at watching my salt intake, but it seems my blood pressure was rising to above normal so my diabetic counselor, Tara, talked me into trying to restrict my sodium intake. For a month and a half I brought my sodium intake to about 1,200 mg per day and dropped my BP by about ten points - I am sold on that. It is a bit trickier than restricting carbs because almost anything you break out of a package already done and delicious for you, is probably loaded with sodium.
Example:
1 cup Buitoni Three Cheese Tortellini = 460 mg
1/2 cup Buitoni Marinara Sauce = 540 mg
1 slice Texas Toast = 209 mg
Total 1,209 mg sodium and then, God forbid you should have seconds...or breakfast and lunch.
I found some ways to make a lot of the recipes I use for family dinners and personal lunches and breakfasts a lot healthier, so that is what I hope to blog about. I will bring recipe make-overs and tips and tricks I learn along the way.

The above dinner, for me, has changed to:
1 cup Barilla Tortellini = 243mg (not reviewed as highly  in America's Test Kitchen, but still a good pasta)
1/2 cup Newman's Own Marinara Sauce = 51mg
1 Plain Bread Stick = 66mg
I improved the dinner to the tune of 360mg for dinner, I could even keep the Texas Toast and still come out with room for lunch and breakfast.

Eating healthy is more expensive and it takes considerable effort, but the rewards are manifold.

1 comment:

  1. Well hallelujah brother! You have seen the light. It shouldn't be too difficult to revamp your blog with healthy recipes according to your dietary needs. Believe me, if you can incorporate your new found healthy eating habits into your blog, I assure you that more folks than you think will love to read and try your recipes. I too suffer from an excessive need for sodium in my diet, so c'mon, lets git 'er done!

    ReplyDelete