Monday, April 5, 2010

Fruit Crostata


The Fruit Crostata was a pat-in-the-pan shortbread crust, so it was a little different than any other. It looks a bit like a Galette, but does not taste like it. I made it for Scott and Susan’s regular every-other-Thursday get together. Last time I baked for them was the pumpkin pie with brandy sauce. This was better, they both tried it and both said they liked it. Sues and I liked it too. It was trickier to put together than the Galette in that the dough had to be rolled out between two pieces of parchment paper because it was very sticky. I made a nice fat border this time, learned my lesson making the Galette. I used fresh peaches and the frozen blueberries we were given.

As an interesting side note the Wife O’ My Life is journaling all her food intake now and so I try to provide her with calorie counts on what I cook and bake. All About Pies and Tarts does not list that sort of information so I have to calculate each ingredient and do math to figure it out. A lot of the time I am able to find a recipe on the internet that has about the same composition and use the information provided. I did a search for Fruit Crostata and was surprised to find a web site called Trusan Cuisines that had a sample menu on their web site with different menu items and photos of the dishes. The surprise came in the photo they had for their Fresh Fruit Crostata. The photo is a little hazy as if it were a phone pic or it was scanned and as I looked at it I realized why it seemed so familiar. It was the picture from All About Pies and Tarts. I called Sues over and we compared different parts of the pictures and it is, right down to the wrinkles on the berries, the same photo. I wonder if they can get in trouble for that. If you want to see it you can look here: http://www.trusancuisines.com/menu_tuscan.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment