Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chess Pie

I set out to make two pies. I was going to make the Chess Pie and the Lemon Chess Pie.
The Lemon Chess Pie for the Wife O' My Life and the Chess Pie for the gal who has a desk right next to Wife at work. It seems that one day I called for Sues and she, Antoinette, answered the phone and I was perturbed with her because she was not Sues. I do not remember the exchange at all, but if she says I was rude I want to beg forgiveness and what better way than to bake her a pie. Chess Pie has nuts in it and Lemon Chess does not. The Wife O' My Life does not like nuts in pie, or most anything else. So the Chess Pie was for Antoinette. I prepared everything for the pie and prepped all I could to make a smooth time baking, I love to have everything laid out and ready just like a TV cooking show. It called for an unusual method for making the filling. I had to combine the eggs, sugars and some evaporated milk in a heat-proof bowl and simmer an inch of water in a skillet and place the bowl in the water until the filling was shiny and warm to the touch. I was a little distracted by the strangeness of the recipe and forgot the six tablespoons of butter I cut into small pieces that were to be scattered on top as the mixture heated. I did not realize my mistake until I was done putting the meringue on the pie. I went to get a drink from the refrigerator and oops there was the saucer with little uniform cubes of butter.
I did not toss the pie, I eat my mistakes. I started over and made the Chess Pie the way it should be and did not make the Lemon Chess Pie. Oh, well. Another day I will make it.
We ate the pie that I screwed up and I thought it was quite good despite the omission of the butter in the filling. My family also enjoyed it. The meringue was very stable and delicious even after two days in the refrigerator.
I did not get pictures of either pie.
Antoinette said that the pie was very good, but very rich and she was eating only small pieces at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment