Friday, April 23, 2010

Rhubarb brings me back home...


We got some rhubarb from the market table at church and I was going to make a pie. No strawberries, though. Just rhubarb. The Wife O' My Life has a pal at work who is the pharmacy manager and she has to put up with a lot of grief from people who want more than their insurance will allow and some times she comes to Wife almost in tears. So, she asked me to bake her pie to cheer her up. One of the coolest parts of the whole story is that she told Wife that rhubarb was her favorite pie!


I did not get to taste the pie, again, but it bubbled up and I did get to taste the filling and it was tart and delicious. Irma said that the best rhubarb for pies is the early spring rhubarb that is as big around as your finger. Says it is sweeter and more flavorful. This rhubarb was about an inch or slightly more across the widest part so it was not early by any means, but I hope she enjoyed the pie. I did use the greater amout of sugar suggested and I added the optional grated zest of one orange.

I tasted some of the raw rhubarb and it made me remember when I was a kid going with Mom, my brother, Dan and my sister, Cookie and finding wild rhubarb or at least feral rhubarb. She made a really tasty cake with it. It is the simplest recipe. You make a yellow or white cake mix according to the directions and put half the batter in a 9x13 and top it with two cups sliced rhubarb then the rest of the batter, bake a little longer than the box says and it is delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment