Friday, March 19, 2010

Apple Pie II


Well, I got some new stuff from Pampered Chef (R) and have been enjoying the garlic peeler, fun little gadget it is a silicone tube and you put your garlic clove in there and rub it between your hands and it peels it for you so you can chop it up. Also got some little prep bowls that I have not used much, becuase they are kind of small and I forget have them and just use monkey dishes.

One of the tools I got was a pastry cutter wheel. It has three blades, one that cuts straight like a pizza cutter, only smaller, one that is flat for crimping dough and one that cuts a wavy line. I used the wavy one to cut the dough to make a lattice on this pie.
I finally got around to making the second recipe for apple pie in the book. The filling is cooked before it goes in the pie and Irma said that it is a bit softer filling than Apple Pie I and not as sweet, but with more apple flavor. I did taste the filling before it went in the pie and thought it was very good.

The lattice was fun to make. I always wondered how people got those great lattice patterens with thin pieces of dough, because my dough would always get all messed up with the filling while I was weaving it. In the book I found out. You make it off the pie on a cookie sheet and refrigerate it until it is stiff and place it on the top of the pie in one piece...pretty clever. I do not know if you can tell I used my new cookie cutter to put a couple of little apple shapes on the top of the crust...Ellen noticed when I gave her the pie *smile*.
Rolling the dough went very well with my new pin, I just love it! Also it was good to make the pie for someone else. This is the pie I made to trade for the raspberry jam for the Linzertorte. I went out to Battle Ground to take the pie to Ellen and got to visit with her and Roberta and Jennifer and Elisa. It was a lot of fun and if they enjoy the pie half as much as I enjoyed their company I would be quite pleased. I asked them to make a comment on this blog entry as to how they liked the pie...or not.

There was a little more darkening on the crust than I like to see, but I was writing the previous post on quiche while it was baking and lost track of time, oops.

By the way, Roberta, if you read this thanks so much for the big bag of frozen blueberries. I was planning to make a pie with them, but my wife took them and said they are for her lunches to make up for all the pies I make she does not get to eat. On that same note my sweet daughter, Rachel asks me the same thing every time I bake, "Do we get to eat this one?" Poor thing, I asked her to pick a pie and it will be just for her. She choose the peach, so this summer when peaches are ripe I will bake one just for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment