Wednesday, March 10, 2010

French Yeast Galette


Well it has been a while, but I finally got back in the kitchen!


My 10th grade daughter, Rachel had us scheduled at her school for student-led conferences, which never go well for us. I do not know if it goes well for others, but Rachel's always seems a little rushed and a little scattered. I did secretly enjoy it though. The reason I bring that up is that her "advisor" at school is a French gal so I decided to make the French Yeast Galette since Irma says that throughout France different regions have varied versions of the galette, but they all have some version it would be interesting to present it to a French native and get her input on how I did. I have asked her to comment on this blog...I hope she will, good or bad I would like to know what she thinks of my galette.


The galette was fun to make in that it was real different from a pie. It was described as a cross between cake and bread. Unlike the apple galette it has no fruit, or any filling at all. It did call for lemon zest. I made two of the galettes and on the first one I used my grater to get the zest from the lemon and I think I dug in a little too deep and got some of the bitter flesh of the peel in the mix. The second one I used my "zester" tool, which takes more time, but renders a better not bitter result.


After mixing the yeast and sugar and the rest you are suppose to cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough stand in a warm place for 3 hours. I always wonder how they made these recipes years ago when there was no plastic wrap...hmm.


To bake the two galettes I had to put them together and then refrigerate them for 10 minutes and then bake for 10 minutes. Which turned out pretty good because I could put one together and refrigerate it while I put the next one together and bake the first one while the second one chills. This worked out OK until I took the first one out of the oven. I was instructed to pat the very sticky dough out to an 11-inch circle under plastic wrap and then to turn up the edges about three-quarters of an inch to form a rim all around. I did not take that very seriously and made a haphazard rim around. Well, the first one I baked on my 15" round baking stone and it grew out over the edge and the second one I made on my 12" stone and the dough was so sticky and delicate that there was no way to transfer it to a larger stone, so I made a very definite rim on the second one. It turned out beautiful, I wish I would have done them both that way. The first one tasted grand, but it was not as pretty.


We ate the first one, the ugly one and gave the second to her advisor, Mrs. Lawrence.


His peace,

Lewis

1 comment:

  1. This comment was emailed to me:

    Thanks for the galette and the link to your blog. Wow! I am impressed!
    Your galette was a hit! First a good friend and colleague married to a French guy stopped by my table at the end of th evening and asked what
    it was and as soon as I told her it was a French galette, she had to have a taste so we dug into it right then and there! Then I took it home
    so my husband could taste it, and on Friday, I brought it back to school and had any colleague interested taste it and it didn't last very long.
    Everyone loved the lemony taste, me included (I love everything lemony)and I loved the fact that it was not too sweet...
    I don't know how to comment on your blog but this is my thanks to your French contribution, and I have to say I am impressed by your blog...
    Keep up the great baking!
    Janick Lawrence
    p.s. I didn't know anything about those yeast galettes but it was tasty.
    I'd like to know which region it's from.
    I make a mean tarte au citron, lemon tart, but it's been in the family forever...

    ReplyDelete