Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Key Lime Pie




My son, David asked me to make the Key Lime Pie for him because he relly likes the key lime flavored yogurt...well, it works for me!

This was different in that I have never made a citrus pie, but I was game. I had to buy a citrus juicer and I wish I had bought a squeezer in stead, maybe I will get one before I make the Lemon Meringue Pie.

Those little, tiny key limes do not have much to them, I had to zest a dozen of them to get the 3 or 4 teaspoons of zest I needed and I had to juice 16 to get the half cup of juice. I did learn my lesson making the French Yeast Galette and used my zesting tool and not the grater to avoid the bitter flesh of the peel.

I had the choice of making it with a meringue topping or whipped cream, I opted for the meringue. The meringue Irma had for me to use has a corn starch paste in it which is suppose to keep the meringue stable for several days...we will never know since Susan took the left-over pie to work and they leave nothing to destablize, ha ha.

The wife 'o my life, Susan said she was surprized that it was not green in color. I had not even thought of that because I saw the picture in Irma's book and it was yellow with just a hint of green, which is just what my pie looked like.

My pie did not look exactly like the book. I tried to "anchor" the meringue to the crust as instructed, but it seperated a little and the pie did weep a bit, the next morning it had maybe a half teaspoon of liquid in the bottom of the plate. They can not all come out perfect, now can they!

One strange thing I noticed was that Irma called for a 15oz can of sweetened condensed milk and both brands at the store come in 14oz cans...weird.
His peace,
Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment