Thursday, March 18, 2010

Quiche Lorraine...does it count if I fail?




My pal Mike has chickens and they laid more eggs than he could use so he gave me a couple of dozen. I thought what a great time to make a quiche. So I set out to make one for him.

As you can see by the pictures I failed in my attempt to make Quiche Loraine. I am so glad I put that pan under the tart pan, what a mess that would have been.

The problem was that I rolled the crust too thin and it shrunk down on one side of the tart and developed a hole during baking. It has an egg yoke glaze baked on the crust to help to seal it, but it was not enough.

The color and flavor were very good and the wife 'o my life very much enjoyed the crust and the filling on the small one, although it had shrunken sides too.

I am going to go ahead and scratch it off the list as done even though it failed. I will attempt it again, only next time I will have to use store-bought eggs.

I got a french-style rolling pin and I am loving it! It is so much nicer to use than the one my mother used. I thought it would take a little getting used to, but it was better right out of the gate. I also got four small removable-bottom tarts and used one in the quiche disaster. They will take a little practice. Irma says to double over the edges of tart crusts that are 3 1/2 to 4 1/2-inch pans, but not if they are very small pans with sloped sides. Well my new pans are 3 1/2-inch, but they have sloped sides...I am going to double the sides next time, we will see how that works out.

Well, I have Apple Pie II in the oven right now. I am baking it for Ellen, a friend at church. I put out the word that I needed 12 ounces of home-made raspberry jam to make the Linzertorte because I did not want to use store-bought jam to fill a tort I have worked so hard on. Ellen gave me a whole quart of jam made by her mother, who she says makes the best jam, from home-grown raspberries. I just hope the rest of the Linzertorte can live up to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment